We are 15 Deacons devoted to our mission of caring for the sick, the heartbroken, the needy and the lonely of our congregation. We are in contact with our Parish members to discern if they are in need of our help and we are also advised by our Pastors of those in need.
On a regular basis we call, visit, send cards, deliver flowers and Food Served With Love to those who are in need. Our “Deacon’s weekly care list” is emailed to all Deacons with their new Parish duties for that week.
This list is also sent to the Elders and Pastor. This year the Deacons took on the responsibility for the Memorial receptions. We organized and served at the receptions for the families of Carolyn Ellis and Julie Alton. Both receptions were done with the help of many of the women of the congregation.
1. Are in charge of the organization of Sunday’s Hospitality.
2. Serve extended communion, that is communion at home, hospital or nursing home.
3. Create bulletin board displays.
4. We deliver flowers to our Special Care List during Lent and Advent. This list is made up of primarily elders and shut ins.
5. We weekly delivery flowers made from Sunday’s alter flowers to those on our Care List.
6. We recognize our confirmands and high school graduates with cards.
7. We are blessed with regular visits from a Stephen leader to help us with our care of those in need. We have learned how to ask for a visit, how to listen, how to pray with those we visit and how to make referrals to Stephen Ministry.
8. We are blessed by the presence of our Pastor at our meetings to guide us.
9. We regularly work at the Congregational life events.
10. When a member and their family needs meals, we have developed food chains within the congregation for regular home cooked meals. Julie Alton and her family received regular visits and meals.
11. We are evaluating the Deacon’s Food Pantry that was set up last year for PCB members in need of assistance.
12. We send valentines to our Parish members to introduce ourselves and our services, along with a photo.